DIY project: sculptural paper orb lights
100–125 white standard-sized paper cupcake liners
100–125 vertically striped petit fours papers
(1) 18–20″ white paper lantern
hot glue gun
1 Hemma Cord from IKEA (for lighting)
1. Assemble the lantern and place it top up in a wide, shallow bowl to act as a base.
2. Put a small dot of hot glue on the backside of a white cupcake liner. Starting about 1/2″ in from the wire ring at the top of the lantern, place the cupcake liner on the lantern and press until it is attached.
3. Continue around the ring, spacing the papers so that the circular bases are approximately 1″ apart, allowing the outer edges to merge and shape.
4. Apply the cupcake papers around the lantern in rings until you are 3/4 of the way down, and then flip the lantern over and gently place it back in the bowl, top side down.
5. Complete the underside, and fill in the bottom so that the papers cover the base opening.
6. Begin applying the petit fours papers, centering them inside each white paper. Three-quarters of the way up the lantern, flip it top side up. Complete the top side.
7. Go back through, gently manipulating the outer papers to the desired shape. I kept mine fairly organic.